Deemed consistently as “the best show in town” and “an event not to miss” from attendees, on Thursday, November 10th, 2022, we hosted our Year in Review at the Rialto Theatre in Montreal, Quebec featuring +500 portfolio companies, Holt Advisors, fintechs, industry experts and other ecosystem players.
Throughout the day, we tailor activities to the attendees attending to maximize the value of ‘Xchanges’. We kicked things off with an invite only matchmaking in the morning with 100 advisors and 15 of our portfolio companies enabling for each attendee to be matched into groups of the most relevant people in attendance. Thereafter, we hosted our AGM lunch for +50 of our investors, while the greater public is able to attend MasterClasses by our partners RBCx (State of Financing), MNP (Fintech & Financial Institutions areas to collaborate) and Renno&Co (State of Crypto), followed by Fintech Cadence’s IFH Demo Day & Fintech Drinks. The evening starts with our VIP pre-show dinner with seating based on likelihood of collaboration within a table, and continues with our world-famous 5th annual Fintech Show: Fintech Seasons… It was a jam packed day designed with the attendees in mind, and as our community says, if you don’t like this event, you don’t like fintech.
After some time to reflect, there’s 3 key takeaways we’ve extracted from our experience:
- Focus on the attendee experience with a clear idea of what is a successful outcome. For us, our aim is for everyone to learn and network in a fun manner, with the ultimate goal that deals between each other will occur. As such, we spend a lot of time on logistics and attendee profiling to maximize the odds this occurs.
- Diversify your event activities. Variety is the spice of life, and our attendees crave differing experiences to keep them engaged. Additionally, different profiles of people find different activities more valuable than others. Mix up your activities from one-to-many presentation style, to mini-breakout tables whereby the audience contributes to the value of the activity.
- Creativity is hard, and certain creative elements may fail, but it’s usually worth trying. For instance, similar to how we advise our portfolio companies, inserting a joke in their pitch is great only if it lands well. If it doesn’t, your audience assumes you should have never wasted their time with that element. Our Fintech Show is now the staple of our Year-in-Review; however, not all creative elements were well received in early years. By improving our delivery and cohesiveness of the different creative elements into an overarching story, we have earned the remarks of “best show in town”, and “the show not to miss”. Only question now – how will we top ourselves next year?
Take a look at this year’s recap of the day:
We believe every person should have the opportunity to hold a portion of their portfolio in Venture Capital. For that reason, we have partnered with FrontFundr to enable a greater pool of investors access to a diversified portfolio of 39 global companies (Seed – Series B), as well as upside potential from additional funds we launch and manage. Venture capital typically has high barriers of entry, but our goal with this partnership is to democratize capital and make the private markets more accessible to all Canadians.
Venture capital can provide several potential benefits. First, it allows individuals and organizations to invest in early-stage companies that have the potential for high growth. This can provide investors with the opportunity to earn significant returns if the companies they invest in are successful. Additionally, investing in a VC fund has proven to be a great source of diversification, especially during a downturn, however, it’s usually hard for individuals to build themselves as it requires 20-40 investments (according to differing studies). Furthermore, since we are a global fund, there is even more diversification in terms of global factors. Lastly, it provides access to an amazing network of similar and relevant people further providing incredible learnings for professional and personal development.
- If you are interested in learning more about our Master Platform Fund: https://holtxchange.com/holtxchange-frontfundr/
- If you are an accredited investor and would like to learn more about investing in our fund: https://www.frontfundr.com/HoltXchange/
The Holt Xchange Master Fund raise is currently only open for accredited investors. Opportunities for retail investors to join are coming soon. Make a reservation now to ensure you can invest when it’s ready.